It’s easy to get off track with food choices while traveling, which just makes you feel icky. It impacts your energy, digestion, and hormones and can really derail the whole travel vibe! We’ve rounded up some of our favorite healthy travel snacks to keep that travel glow strong. When you’re on vacay, there’s no time for feeling ick. With just a little pre-trip planning, these healthy choices are easy, quick, and tasty travel companions to reach for when hunger strikes. They’ll give you that stable energy you need to enjoy every moment of your adventure.
We chose snacks that were high in protein, fiber or healthy fats and low in sugar and refined carbs. These options are also gluten free and dairy free.
High Protein Travel Snacks
High protein snacks are clutch. Whether you’re looking for healthy road trip snacks or snacks for traveling on an airplane, these will keep ‘hanger’ at bay. Protein is a longer burning fuel than carbs, which means it will curb your appetite and keep you energized longer.
- Nuts – any variety is great, but the healthiest way to eat nuts is raw.
- Jerky – choose clean options without the added sugars and unnecessary ingredients (reading ingredient lists is essential!).
- Protein Bars – again, look for options without added sugars. Also, we prefer opting for protein sources that are NOT soy or dairy based. Good options would include animal proteins such as collagen protein, egg protein, and bone broth protein. Plant-based options would include pea protein, pumpkin seed protein, chia seed protein, or hemp protein.
- Protein Powder Packets – same applies here as above! Protein powder packets or stick packs are great to add to beverages. Travel with a shaker bottle, and just add water or a dairy-free milk to your protein and you’re all set!
- FBOMB Packets – these babies are a delicious protein-packed delight! Seriously, you need to try them.
- Nut Butter Packets – these are great packable options that pair well with celery, carrots or apples for a well rounded snack.
Veggies & Fruits Travel Snacks
When it comes to healthy travel snacks, it’s tough to beat veggies and fruits. These win out in the health department over highly processed store bought options hands down. Homemade travel snacks don’t get much easier than washing and chopping up your favorite veggies as high-fiber options to munch on. They’ll satisfy your need for a little crunch without the ‘ick’ feeling that comes with low quality options.
- Olives – these come in handy individual snack packs great for travel.
- Sliced bell peppers
- Sugar snap peas
- Guac & Hummus Packs – these also come in convenient individual packs, great for those that love to dip!
- Pickle Pouch Snack Pack – enjoy a salty pickle crunch in a to-go pouch!
Low-Sugar or Low-Carb Travel Snacks
Empty carbs is a travel snacking trap that many fall into. It’s so easy to reach for these refined sugar goodies that are front and center in airports, gas stations and convenience stores. They might taste good, but they’ll leave you feeling tired and icky. If you’re needing a sweet treat, but want to keep your energy up for your adventures, here are some tasty ideas!
- Smart Sweets – need something to satisfy your sweet tooth? These are a great low-sugar candy.
- Dark Chocolate – these satisfy a chocolate craving while keeping the sugar in check.
- Nut-Based Crackers – great for when you need a salty snack! These options are satisfying and lower in total carbs than their conventional counterparts.
We hope these healthy travel snack ideas will make your next adventure a little more nutritious! We’d love to know what your favorite healthy travel snacks are! #healthyglow
If you’re going on a road trip and have a cooler, check out our Easy No-Bake Chocolate Protein Balls Recipe for a yummy protein packed snack!